coconut wonder cookies (GF, DF, sugar-free/paleo)
lately i've been craving a cookie really badly. any type, really. did you know I haven't eaten a cookie since november? i know, so it was quickly time to remedy that.
I found this recipe via the civilized caveman and altered it to what i had on hand and make a few adjustments. first batch out of the oven, i knew these were winners and couldn't believe these were gluten-free, dairy-free, and free of any refined sugar. therefore-- i'm calling them: coconut wonder cookies!
chocolate chips have a TON of added sugar, so I've been using carob chips sweetened with beet sugar (they're actually quite good and not half as expensive as they are online!). so, if you need to use chocolate chips instead, go for it!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup honey
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder (aluminum-free is preferred)
- 3/4 cup carob chips (or chocolate chips)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine melted coconut oil, honey, eggs, salt, and extract.
3. Add in coconut flower and baking powder while stirring.
4. Add carob chips-- add more as needed.
5. Place on parchment paper, foil, or a silpat as these stick easily! You can make bigger mounds of dough and press them down since these don't rise like conventional cookies.
6. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until golden on the sides.
And that's it! This recipe made about 16-17 small cookies for me. I enjoyed this with a glass of almond milk + read catcher in the rye. Makes for a lovely saturday afternoon!
I'm always looking for ways to tweak my recipes and make them better-- do you have any good changes or recipes? Do tell!
Until next time,